befa 1965 

The BEFA originally started life as a Ford Special but was later called the Befa (an abbreviation of “B” for bastard).

The chassis was constructed by George Cole, at his Kellerberrin structural steel business, using the recently developed Elfin Catalina chassis and body as the basis.

A Kent 1700 cc Cross flow engine and Elfin (Hollinger) gearbox was fitted.

The vehicle was quite competitive and held the lap record for the 1601 to 2000 class for a number of years at the Wanneroo raceway.

In 1974 George sold the car to Julian Cowan where it was raced at Wanneroo with moderate success.

Neil McCrudden acquired the car in 1998 and the car rejoined the grid in early 2000.  The car is driven by James McDonald and was very sucessful at the recent Bruce McLaren Festival in New Zealand where it performed well at Hampton Downs and Pukekohe. 

Technical Details
Chassis – Tubular space frame built by George Cole of Kellerberrin
Engine – Ford Kent 1700 cc Cross flow
Gearbox – Elfin (Hollinger)

.

Comments are closed.

A Random Image
A Random Image
A Random Image
A Random Image
A Random Image